Movie Review: All That Glitters; Uru Eke leads the pack in this one.





Screenwriters: Bola Aduwo, Rita C. Onwurah & Uduak Isong

Director: Tom Robson

Producer: Emem Isong

Cast: Uru Eke, Alex Ekubo, Ini Edo, Grace Johnson, Perez Egbi, Meg Otanwa, Diana Yekini

Genre: Drama

Production Company: Royal Arts Academy 

Year Released: 2013


Synopsis:
An unemployed young man (Alex Ekubo), finally gets a blue chip corporate job. Life becomes rosy again for him, his caring wife (Grace Johnson) and child, until he feels his wife is no longer at par with his current status. He abandons his home and pitches tent with a very attractive and seductive colleague at work (Uru Eke). Things spiral out of control afterwards: betrayal, lust and infidelity holds sway. What finally becomes of his marriage and home is left for the discerning, to ponder.

Now, to the scrutinizer: All That Glitters was a movie that I earnestly wanted to see, for two reasons: 
(1) Uru Eke (my Classique Mademoiselle) was in it and I wanted to see how good her seduction skills were.
(2) I wanted to see how Alex Ekubo would fare, being saddled with a lead role for obviously the first time (I think).

So armed with these expectations, I went on to see the movie. Was I satisfied with what I saw? 

Well, Uru put up a commanding performance, such that one would assume she was the lead actor. Her seduction skills were at par with what I expected of her. She played her character to the bone (I come dey fear whether she no dey like that for real life o). There's always room for improvement sha. I simply put...the Babe is good!

Well as for Oga Alex; he tried to prove his mettle in this one, but (in my opinion) he didn't convey the inherent persona, that the character he played should possess. He acted as if he was forced to be a husband...I guess being a play boy suits him more (see Weekend Getaway). 
I couldn't feel the bond between him and his wife (at least when the going was good). From his facial expressions to displaying the idiosyncracies of his character; I didn't feel that correlative vibe. You know...that sort of genuine stupidity that Tony Umez exhibits when his brain has been whisked off by an intrusive lover; that ruthlessness, firmness and surety that RMD, Emeka Ossai or Zack Orji displays (by not hesitating or even feeling slight pity for an abandoned wife and family) when playing such a character. It shows that he needs to focus and work dilligently on improving his skills inorder to become a more skillful,versatile and successful thespian. If he does as I have suggested, then more lead roles await him. OC Ukeje is a good example...

Aha! Least I forget. Perez Egbi. Hmm...This guy never fails to impress me with what he brings on-screen. It would suffice to say he was the 'comic foil' of this movie. He took it upon himself to bear the responsibility of keeping one of the movie's subplots (his friendship with Alex) going smoothly. This singular act seemed to resonate into the main plot to give the movie a bit of entertaining warmth. His time at Nollywood Houston, is surely paying off.

Grace Johnson. Well like I also suggested to Alex, Grace needs to improve in her ability to act believable. She also punctuated her lines at some points like she needed a cue on what to say next. There was no chemistry between her and Alex, as husband and wife, at all. If you have observed the chemistry between Nobert Young and Carol King in Mnet's Edge of Paradise, you'll understand my point. She also needs to improve on her diction. She should see Aunty Joke Silva for lessons. I however saw in her eyes, the hunger to deliver and though it didn't work out well but in time and with much practice, she'll get there. I see in Grace Johnson, the earnest desire to satisfy her budding fans.

Ini Edo, though with lots of oesopharyngeal-hurting shouts and yells, did her job as a 'thick madam' boss quite well. She brought in her usual energy and shakara to spice it all up. Kudos to her.

The cinematography was a bit above the average Nollywood style am used to. The audio quality was ok. Thank heavens there was no case of booms dangling into the screen or designer label tags still hanging onto dresses. The sound track and score were manageable. The director also did an 'ok' job. The cast was relatively good. 

In all, seeing the movie, was more like leading me through a familiar route, maybe with some slight changes here and there. With each actor bringing in a bit of their flair. This is a movie to watch when you're bored. It's worth a bit of your spare time. So in your spare time go see this movie in cinemas; if not for anyone, do it for Uru. Chai! She finish them with Queens English for this one o; sotey for where I siddon, I no know when I come shout for Igbo: Sùpù! Alright, 3 out of 5 stars is what I'll rate this one.

Comments

Popular Posts