My list of Best Creative Works...in the year 2013.

My Best Hollywood Movie of the year 2013

                     Fast & Furious 6
Directed by Justin Lin and written by Chris Morgan; the sixth installment in the Fast and Furious series did it for me this year. I love fast cars...Gran Torismo Mustang cars and delirious stunts, and the sweet adrenaline thrill it gives...so don't be surprised.

Fast and Furious 6 saw the reunion of Vin Diesel, the late Paul Walker, their gang and girlfriends and DEA agent Dwayne Johnson. Where Fast Five heralded and gave more credence to Hollywood’s new exaltation of sensational action over subtle character, so I was bi-curious 'bout what Fast & Furious 6 would bring to the fore. I wasn't disapponted at all, cos it was bi-Furious!!!

My Best Nollywood Movie of the year 2013
 
                       Awakening
Directed by James Omokwe and Ethan Okwara, written by James Omokwe, David 'Gee' Ahanmisi and Ethan Okwara;  
Awakening also did it for me last year, in the Nigerian movie industry. 

It was a first of its kind in the genre of thriller movies, produced from this front. The movie was simply breathtaking and enthralling. I sat glued to the screen of my PC till the end.... 

  My Best Foreign Song of the year 2013

      Get Lucky: Daft Punk Feat. Pharrell 
Williams

Produced by Nile Rodgers; this Funky tune by the French House duo "Daft Punk"(Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo) along side ageless Pharrell Williams, did it for me this last year. 

"Get Lucky", has that unique, intoxicating and funky feel to it; something I didn't observe in other chart bursting songs released in 2013.

   My Best Nigerian Song of the year 2013

               Phyno: Man of The Year

Azubuike "Phyno" Chibuzo, has never ceased to wow me with his lyrical and word-smithing capabilities. I however, refuse to subscribe to his romance with "the Kush, the Champagne or the Love Bud." I vehemently detest Mari-Jay! 

Albeit, I am in love with his talent. His lyrics might sometimes be literally raw, but paying more attention to the subtext of his lyrics especially in this song ("Man of the year"), one would pick out the true message he's trying to pass:"He's here to stay and his haters can ascend Third Mainland Bridge, tie a rock to their feet and jump into the deoxygenated lagoon, if it so pleases 'em!"

    My Best African Song of the Year 2013

         Khona: Mafikizolo feat. Uhuru

I fell in love with this song from the very first time I heard it over the radio. Since its lyrics was mainly in Zulu language, it was difficult for me to understand what the song was all about. I later found out from an online dictionary, that the word "Khona" meant, "Somewhere or That Place". 

It was much later that I discovered that the "Khona" was actually a sad love song about people wishing their dead loved ones could return to them. It is a song/story based on the sad experiences of Madikizolo as a group and as individuals. Uhuru was also not left out in this tale of sad experiences. The group Mafikizolo was initially made up of 3 persons: Theo Kgosinkwe, Nhlanhla Nciza(the lady) and Tebogo Madingoane(now late). 

Tebogo died during an altercation on Valentine's Day in 2004. Nhanhla lost her 5-year old daughter in December 2009 and Theo lost a friend (Rose), while Uhuru lost his Mama. The song is a sort of rhetoric plea to these lost loved ones, to return home.
 
        My Best Literary work in 2013

  Americanah: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Ever since I began reading her works, this bundle of joy(Chimamanda), has never given me a reason to doubt the fact that she's pregnant with lots of enthralling stories...to deliver unto the universe. Her latest work, Americanah was as bold as the lady her self (I've had the privilege of seeing & hearing her speak...by heavens, is she bold!). 

Americanah, a story (not a love story) about racism in the US as seen from the eyes of a troubled African woman; is (in my opinion) a first of its kind from this part of the globe. I enjoyed every second...spent reading this skilfully crafted piece of literary art. Late Professor Chinua Achebe(of blessed memory) was spot on, when he said: "Adichie came almost fully made."

     My Best Art Work of the Year 2013

       The Abyss (Playtime): Isaac Julien

This exquisite piece of art tells a vivid tale of a House keeper in Dubai, who is trapped in an immaculate apartment located in a desert. It's somewhat related to the experience of Mr Julien's house keeper who moved to London, to escape such enchanting entrapment.


Do comment...if you either agree or disagree with my list.

Comments

Popular Posts