A New Generation of Nigerian Creative Minds is emerging

The past two weeks have been quite an exciting and rewarding experience for me. Firstly, I was at the 2016 Lagos Comic-Con, held at the NECA House in Alausa, Ikeja. Where I had the privilege of meeting with Deejay Sa'id (a young creative and gifted filmmaker), and Nkechi Nwabudike (a young intelligent and talented screenwriter). Deejay Sa'id's enthralling and gripping short film "Trapped: no way out", was also screened at the convention.
It was really fun hanging out with them and other contemporary creative minds, at the Lagos Comic-Con. I was able to witness the screening of five short films and documentaries, as well as participating in workshops on creative writing and comic/video gaming animation. At the end of it all, I was so impressed with the massive turn out of fellow creative minds, and also with the organisation put together by the event's convener, Ayodele Elegba (a pioneer creative in Nigeria's budding Comic and Video Gaming industry). I was so impressed that I hoped to meet him in person. And my wish was granted sooner than I expected, on a later date.

Deejay Sa'id, Nkechi Nwabudike, & Ebukah E. Nzeji 

The next week, I was off to the Oriental Hotel on the Island (Lekki), to attend the 2016 Lagos Startup Week. Here, I was able to interact with quite a number of creative minds. The session I attended actually had Ayodele Elegba as one of the guest speakers, and it was quite an engaging and enriching experience for me. As issues concerning Nigeria's entertainment industry, ranging from Nollywood, to the Comic and Video Gaming industry, were open for discourse. I finally got to meet with Ayodele Elegba. I must say that I am really impressed with how much work he has put in, and the sacrifices he has made to make sure that the Comic industry here, in Nigeria, gains traction. He and other comic artists and animators have really done well in this regard. And I am really proud of them all.

Ebukah E. Nzeji and Ayodele Elegba 


Then on Saturday, October 1, my friends, Onyeka Nwelue (a visiting Associate Professor, Author and Filmmaker) and, Mitterand Okorie (an Author, Lecturer and Filmmaker) were here in Lagos for the 6th edition of the Lights Camera Africa!!! Film Festival. Where Onyeka's riveting, insightful and yet comedic documentary "House of Nwapa" was to be screened. This was coming on the heels of the documentary's screening at Harvad University, a couple of days ago. It was really a great moment...as we all got to meet in person for the very first time. It was really an emotional moment for me, seeing them live. Onyeka's documentary "House of Nwapa" captivated every one member of the audience. That at the end of the screening, the documentary raised lots of interesting issues for discourse amongst the audience and the panelists. The issues ranged from Flora Nwapa's status as Africa's first female author to be published, to that of her being a Feminist. I also want to commend Ugoma Adegoke, the organizer of the Lights Camera Africa!!! Film Festival, for being a great host and giving young Filmmakers a befitting platform....
It was really one event that I won't forget in a hurry. I must say that I am really proud of my friends Onyeka and Mitterand (both of whom are barely just into their late twenties), for just how much they’ve been able to achieve, respectively, at such a young age (despite the harsh clime that Nigeria is). This goes to show that my generation is gearing up to create our own Nigeria. The Nigeria that the entire world would be proud to be associated with. May God grant every young person in Nigeria the grace to contribute their own quota towards this goal. Bless! ✌

Mitterand Okorie and Ebukah E. Nzeji 



Ebukah E. Nzeji and Onyeka Nwelue 
               

Comments

Popular Posts