Lagos is BAE!


It's been a busy and exciting October for me. From the Lights Camera Africa!!! Film Festival 2016 to the Lagos International Poetry Festival 2016, and the Falana Uncover’d Pop-Up Concert Series Finale. And I must say that it was worth it, as I got to meet and network with people whom I have long admired their talents and body of works, from the fringes where I once stood. 

The Lights Camera Africa!!! Film Festival 2016 was one event to remember. All thanks to the organizers and sponsors, especially Ugoma Adegoke, the festival’s chief organizer. This year’s edition was actually the 6th one. And for Ugoma to have sustained and revved up the tempo which the festival began with, in 2011; she deserves more accolades than she currently gets. 

The festival was held from September 30th to October 2nd, at the Federal Palace Hotel, Victoria Island Lagos. I chose to attend...on the second day which was October 1st (Nigeria's Independence Day). 

My friend Onyeka Nwelue, an author, assistant visiting Professor, and filmmaker, was having his documentary "The House of Nwapa" screened at the Festival on that day.  

I got to Federal Palace Hotel by 7.30 pm or there about. I made for the entrance to hall where the screening for Onyeka’s documentary was about to be held. At the entrance, I got my pass from the ushers who where, by the way, very nice and courteous. I could sense the prim and proper organization put into the preparation for this film festival, from the entrance. 

And as I stepped into the hall, a waft of one of the most sensuous fragrances I have ever smelled, hit my nostrils. Being a sucker for sweet fragrances, I nodded in approval: "I was at the right place at the right time, for the right reasons".

I was wowed, when I got into the hall! The interior decor was very tastefully done. The lighting and fluorescence in the hall was something else---something to behold. And soon, I spotted the sources of the sensuous fragrance…which were incensed candles placed (strategically) in glassy vases, on tables. Soon the screening of the documentary "The House of Nwapa" began. 

“The House of Nwapa” is an experimental documentary which chronicles the life and times of Flora Nwapa, who was arguably Africa’s first female author to be published. 

Some of the interviews conducted by Onyeka, had the audience and the panelists reeling with laughter. And others gave the audience and panelists something to think about. I liked the fact that the documentary also gave an exposé into the culture and people of the great town of Oguta. A town which fascinates me so much.

From the interviews Onyeka had with Flora’s brother, Christopher “Cfine” Nwapa, to the interview with renowned author, Mabel Segun, to the interview with Mitterand Okorie (Onyeka’s buddy, who's also an author and a lecturer), it was frankness, bluntness, hindsight, and humour all the way. The interviews with Flora Nwapa’s 1st daughter, Ejine Nzeribe, her son Uzoma Nwakuche, and her younger sister, Weruche, were more insightful and thought-provoking.

For me, the highlight of the documentary was the insinuation by Onyeka, that Flora Nwapa and Chinua Achebe could have been romantically involved…. When asked what she thought about this insinuation, Sabine Jell-Bahlsen (the author of The Water Goddess in Igbo Cosmology: Ogbuide of Oguta Lake), shied away from giving a direct answer to this…which left me wondering and believing that she actually knew something about some romantic connection between Flora and Achebe. That’s something worth pondering on, if you ask me.

The screening ended with a ‘question and answer’ session, anchored by the highly rated Nollywood thespian, Kemi ‘Lala’ Akindoju. And Onyeka was put on the spot, when asked if he thought Flora Nwapa was a Feminist, and what his thoughts were on Feminism. He went on to say he was himself a Feminist…. 

Soon, the ‘meet and greet’ cum networking segment commenced, for me. And I went straight to meet with Onyeka. He was quite surprised to see me: we had never seen each other in person before, but have been Facebook friends for a while. It was really a great experience, meeting him…. Lest I forget, everyone was also given a wine treat, at the in-hall bar. After I had my own glass of wine, I walked straight up to Mitterand Okorie (who’s also my friend on Facebook). We were apparently both surprised to see how we actually looked, respectively, in person. We exchanged pleasantries, and then walked up to where Onyeka was being interviewed…. 

                *              *              *

My next port of call, was the Lagos International Poetry Festival 2016. Which took place at the Freedom Park, for 5 days (26th-30th October). “The House of Nwapa” was to be screened on the third day of the event. And though I had already seen the documentary; I still wanted see it again. This time, I went with my friend and wingwoman, Chioma Akeru, who is also a freelance writer. And funny enough, she’s also from Oguta, the town where Flora Nwapa was born. A town which features predominantly in The House of Nwapa. 

Since we hadn’t been to Freedom Park before, me and Chioma spent a while on the streets of Onikan, in a tiresome rigmarole, trying to locate the park. The awkward directions…from pedestrians were partly responsible for this. Thanks to a Keke-NAPEP driver, we eventually arrived at the venue, albeit a bit late for the start of the screening. We got our tickets at the gate, and headed to the screening hall. At the entrance to the hall, we got cleared to enter.... 

And as we entered the hall, I sighted the one and only Wana Udobong a.k.a Miss Wanawana. She was quite busy, so we couldn’t go to say "hi" to her. 

We met the screening…where Onyeka was interviewing Mitterand Okorie. Before me and Chioma could even take our seats, the audience was already reeling with laughter, because of some of the somewhat risqué things Mitterand was saying onscreen. Trust me, Mitterand’s sense of humour is something else. I couldn’t help but laugh, myself, as I took my seat.

Onyeka's insightful and riveting documentary elicited virtually the same emotions from the audience and panelists, as it had from that of the Lights Camera Africa!!! Film Festival 2016. 

At the end of the screening, the question and answer session was brief...after which me and Chioma went to meet and greet Onyeka. I introduced Chioma to him. And he was quite happy to learn that she was from Oguta too. He even went on to introduce her to Flora Nwapa’s 1st daughter, Ejine Nzeribe. Who was very happy to see Chioma. I also got to meet and greet seasoned filmmaker Tope Oshin-Ogun, as well as model/actor, Emmanuel Ikubese. It was really a memorable moment for me, seeing all these people.... 

To cap it up; the Lagos International Poetry Festival 2016 was a success. All thanks to the efforts made by renowned poet, Efe Paul Azino, as well as the volunteers, in organizing this great event.

             *                *                 *

Fast-forward to Sunday night (30th October). I was already at the Lagos City Hall Onikan by 7pm, for the Falana Uncover’d Pop-Up Concert Series Finale.

The concert was billed to start by 7.30pm. However, there was a bit of delay. But the show eventually began by 8.20pm. The backup singers arrived onstage first, and in a couple of minutes, Falana graced the stage with her charming presence.

She was quite interactive. As she communicated jovially with the audience intermittently during her performance. She opened the show on the night, with a number (I can’t remember the title) by the Lijadu Sisters. She went on to perform covers of various songs by world renowned artistes, before switching to her original songs. It was really a night to remember, for me. Now, let’s get to meet Falana, a little bit.

Falana is a Soul Fusion artiste who has been in the music scene for a while now; gradually working her way up…. While also worming her way into the hearts of lovers of great music. A polyglot and also a multi-instrumentalist (she plays the Cajon Drum too), Falana had her first performance in Nigeria, during the 2014 Afropolitan Vibes held at the Freedom Park Lagos. Where she shared the stage alongside Yemi Alade and General Pype. She has also opened for Asa…. Her most popular original song has to be “To Bernard”. A song that has also been featured on MTN’s caller tunez. Her music was also influenced by her one year sojourn in Cuba. 

Back to the concert: Falana brought the show to a crescendo with an enthralling performance of Fela’s classic hit “Lady”. She also conducted her instrumentalists through a solo instrumental freestyle session. It was simply breathtaking and phenomenal! Virtually everyone was wowed on the night. At the end of the show I was able to meet and greet Falana, and also Bez Idakula.

In all, Falana is one artiste to watch out for. She is very talented. A true artist, through and through! For me, Falana ti ya lori! The industry should watch out for her!





Comments

  1. wow! i am totally impressed how you pulled this write-up about lagos. keep it up nwannem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nné Oma. I really appreciate that you like my blog post. I was even surprised that you followed my blog. I am truly grateful. I have also reciprocated...by following your wonderful blog.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in comments on this blog, are solely those of the commentators and does not in any way reflect or represent the views of Ebukah E. Nzeji.

Popular Posts